Monday 13 October 2014

White Pearl, Mozambique

If someone were to ask me what the most beautiful place I've ever been to is I would have to say the White Pearl Resort in Mozambique. Almost at the very bottom of the country lies a wonderful little corner of the world, on which some people decided to build a few little houses. This place is amazing. I went there with my family last Easter holiday (so, around March/April) and I was shocked to find myself somewhere so wonderful!
The location itself is very hard to get to, my family took a jeep-like car and we almost got stuck in a giant puddle which reached the car windows, we had to pee in the bush and encountered a friendly scorpion, as well as having to slow down for snakes, potholes and the odd child asking for a bottle of water (which of course we gave).
We got a fairy which took us from Maputo to Catembe, just across the narrow part of Maputo Bay. From there we drove down and down, through the Elephant reserve (not catching a glimpse of any actual elephants, but of quite a lot of poo), passing every type of road possible: some were tar, (featuring very large potholes), some were made from sand, some were a muddy puddle delight (not really delightful, at times scary actually, though very funny) and other were rocky, but we eventually got to the holy grail that is the White Pearl Resort.
The golden sandy beaches welcomed us with strong, clear blue waves, which hid a vast array of wildlife. The lush green hills kept our little corner beautifully protected from the outside world, and had hut-like rooms resting upon them in a way which didn't ruin the scenery. The rooms themselves were lovely too, though a bit too romantic since I was sharing it with my brother. They had a balcony which had a breath-taking view over the beach and the hills, bouncy beds, lovely shell/beaded shower curtain, two sun-lounger, a little pool and an outside shower. A shower outside in the warm air (not too late in the evening so you don't get bitten by mosquitos!) is such an amazing, yet simple, experience. Though it does not exactly cause an adrenaline rush, I felt oddly free and calm.
Apart from that there are lots of fun and eco-friendly activities such as taking a horse ride through the nearby villages and bush (lovelyyy), or the beach, snorkelling and an ocean-safari (amazing, amazing, amazing), and surfing or body-boarding (did it, loved it, sucked at it). The dinner and lunch menus are fab, not only does it change every day but it offers fantastic dishes of South African and Mozambique cosine with a twist! Some are more Western-friendly (not too spicy, and lightly more 'common') and many are vegetarian friendly, which is amazing for me.
In the afternoon there was high-tea with cakes and sweets in a lovely white and blue room.
Enough ranting? I think so...
If you want to check the place out, click on http://www.whitepearlresorts.com/ ! Would be a truely fantastic holiday and might have more professional-looking photos!
xx

Hello little friend!


My room with a view

High tea

My family decided to have breakfast on the beach! (I was late, whoops!)

The sun loungers, and a hint of the mini pool 


This boy was the size of my hand








Dragonflies, buttefies, bees, they were all there! I loved it

Sofia


No comments:

Post a Comment